Adding a pop of color can add a lot of life to a look, but the question I get most as a stylist is WHEN to add that pop. My response is “when you are in a fun and lively mood”. My answer is usually never based on an outfit, but rather if the wearer is ready to stand out. That is exactly what a pop of color does – it’s a way of adding a real eye-catching piece to your look that will draw attention. That said, there are definitely outfits that work better with an added pop than others. Below are some ideas when and how to add that pop!
1. The simplest and no-fail way to add a pop of color is to start with a monochromatic outfit (all one color or a black and white). An all black ensemble is probably the easiest to work with, but any neutral outfit will look awesome when paired with most colors.
2. When an outfit has no more than 2 colors and one or both are a neutral color. This is how I styled my look today. Starting with a black canvas I added a neutral camel color and then a nice pop of wine. The key to adding the right pop is that all the colors coordinate and look beautiful together.
3. When adding a pop of color to an outfit that contains a print, pick a color that is in the print. Depending on how busy the pattern is, I usually like to add the least used color as the pop.
4. Anything that is worn should fit really well, but this is especially important when the piece “pops” – whether it is a blazer, coat, skirt, pants, etc. it needs to be tailored to perfection. If the pop comes from the shoes then make sure you can walk in them easily and they look flattering. As for handbags being the eye-catching piece, make sure it is in proportion to your frame (a giant bright handbag on a petite frame will end up looking silly).
5. One must also consider how many statement pieces the outfit has. As a general guideline I usually like an outfit to have no more than two statement pieces, any more and the look can feel too busy. So when considering adding a pop of color make sure it doesn’t compete with the look.
The color of these perfect pumps are just so beautiful and looks so right for this time of year.
Jacket: Belstaff (similar and similar I also have THIS one and it would also make a fantastic alternative – love it and its on sale! )
Shirt: Helmut Lang
Jeans: Victoria Beckham On Sale! One of my favorite pairs of jeans I have in both colors: in blue here
Shoes: Rupert Sanderson
Scarf: I Love Mr. Mittens (similar, similar and similar)
Sunglasses: Stella McCartney
Rings: Parpala Jewelry
Thanks for visiting! xx Erica